A couple of years ago, this was going around on the net, and I couldn’t resist doing it. Tonight I saw it on someone else’s blog and looked up mine to see if it was still accurate. It all is – except the age things, of course, since this was first posted Saturday, May 21, 2005. I thought it might be fun to have a reread. No. 101 is especially true these days.
1. I love old houses.
2. I came into this world knowing that time is not linear.
3. I am an incredibly loyal friend.
4. I “tell it like it is.” Don’t ask me a question if you don’t want the answer.
5. I am the question person among my friends – always have a question.
6. I am happy most of the time.
7. I agree with my great grandmother Maranda Rose, who was gone long before I came along, who always ate dessert first because she said, “I might die and some other son of a bitch would get to eat it.” It’s a general philosophy of life – enjoy it. Now.
8. I have a trail of failed relationships behind me. I’m not very good at them, even though I try really hard.
9. I can sing.
10. I love to travel – nothing gets the heart pounding like a little jaunt into the developing world.
11. I wash my hands dozens of times a day – I’ve got a “germ thing.”
12. I *rarely* get sick. (Reference #11)
13. I’m brand loyal to very few things – Wisk, Heinz ketchup, Colgate winterfresh gel toothpaste, Tampax tampons, Jif peanut butter.
14. I HATE to clothes shop. Good grief, could there be anything more mind numbingly dull?
15. I hate carpet – nasty stuff. If you put a rug down and walk on it, it’s filthy in a few days. Why do you think gluing the rug down prevents it from getting dirty?
16. I suck at trivial pursuit.
17. I have a *major* case of ADD and consider it a blessing.
18. I don’t like to go to the movies. I’m a prisoner in a theatre.
19. Freedom is the one thing I’ve never had enough of.
20. I was on my fourth career before I turned 40.
21. I write cookbook reviews.
22. I used to do radio.
23. I used to do TV.
24. I used to write for a newspaper.
25. I have written a novel. It’s not great, but at least I strung together 100,000 words and they make some sense.
26. I’ve been keeping a journal since I was in grade school.
27. People tell me I don’t look my age – 43. I certainly don’t feel my age.
28. I’ve been involved with men much older and much younger.
29. I think people spend far too much time thinking about what they SHOULD do instead of just doing what they WANT to do.
30. One of the most meaningful songs to me is Janis Joplin’s “Me and Bobby McGee” because of the line, “Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose.” Because it’s true.
31. I love Maya Angelou.
32. I know what it’s like to be facing someone older and stronger than you, thinking they are going to kill you. (He didn’t, obviously. He probably regretted it.)
33. I have two brothers that were married with children before I was born.
34. I have laminates on eight of my teeth. I got them when it was a very new procedure. Love them.
35. I have been fat all my life. It’s part of who I am. Take me or leave me.
36. I miss my Mama. She’s been gone for 4 years now.
37. One of the people in this world I know I can always count on is my ex bf, who remains one of my best friends on the planet. He always will be. We just don’t make a good couple.
38. I’m a pack rat.
39. I love “Morning Edition” and “All Things Considered” on NPR.
40. I collect rocks.
41. I am an artist.
42. I am a writer.
43. I cannot remember details of shows, books, etc.
44. I treasure my friends.
45. I adore my family – none of that “oh, I don’t get along with fill-in-the-blank” foolishness.
46. My great nephew, BC, is one of my favorite people on the planet.
47. My sister in law, Mary Ann, has always been a second mom to me. She is the ROCK of the family. Don’t know what families do that don’t have a Mary Ann. We are blessed.
48. I know that the dimensions we perceive in this world are very limited. And we limit ourselves by not looking beyond them.
49. I adore having an art studio in my house.
50. I could create on the computer for hours and hours.
51. I’m a good cook. Very good cook. I love to bake.
52. I love lipfinity lipstick.
53. I believe that journalism is a noble profession.
54. I used to be a journalist.
55. I have compiled and edited cookbooks.
56. I have designed billboards, bus ads, posters, programs, ads and dozens of other things.
57. I have voiced national radio ads.
58. I like genealogy.
59. I took a quilting class. I like to choose the fabric. The sewing isn’t my favorite thing.
60. I love to dye things like freezer paper.
61. I learned to sew by making Barbie Doll clothes.
62. I am redoing an old house.
63. People think I’m weird. They might be right.
64. I’m definitive.
65. Decision making is pretty easy for me.
66. I’m convinced it’s pretty obvious what’s right and what’s wrong. People just like to pretend otherwise so they don’t have to take responsibility.
67. I have “Patsy’s Rules for Living” that keep me centered.
68. The confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers at Cairo, Illinois is an important place for me.
69. I was born and raised in Kentucky.
70. I graduated from the U. of Kentucky – Go Wildcats – with degrees in Journalism and Telecommunications. I work in the Mental Health field now. Nothing like using that education.
71. I love Mary Englebreit’s Home Companion but still miss Victoria.
72. I went to Egypt by myself.
73. I’ve hiked in the Guatemalan jungle.
74. I love Paris.
75. I am not afraid of death. Never have been. I’d rather live fully and have fewer days, than live a long time and be afraid.
76. I get a lot of things done every day.
77. I don’t sleep much. Six hours is plenty for me. I can do with much less.
78. I’ve never bought a new piece of furniture.
79. I grew up on a tobacco farm. I hope I never have to raise tobacco again but I can if I have to.
80. I have never smoked anything – including tobacco.
81. I don’t drink. It all tastes bad to me – beer, wine, whatever. Very occasionally I have a margarita with Mexican food but don’t get the thrill of getting shit faced. There’s a season for everything in life and by the time you’re old enough to do that legally, that season should be wrapping up.
82. I don’t do drugs.
83. I own a discussion group.
84. I think our lack of connection with one another will be part of our undoing.
85. I can read people. Have always been able to. But I don’t do it without permission.
86. I know when people are feeding me a line of bullshit. I can’t figure out why others don’t see it. It’s incredibly obvious to me.
87. I have been criticized for being smart, efficient, getting a lot done and not needing supervision.
88. I have a “genius” IQ. Pity I think IQ tests are bogus.
89. I am incredibly annoyed by stupid people.
90. I laugh every day. Heartily. Multiple times a day.
91. I write every day.
92. I meditate every day.
93. I pray every day.
94. I do not believe in war.
95. Clinton is the only president I’ve ever voted for who got into the white house. And I’ve voted in every election since I’ve been old enough.
96. I love cats but don’t have any.
97. I am not a huge fan of music. I sing along with the radio. That’s about it.
98. I love old costume jewelry pins.
99. I treasure the family things I have – quilts, trinkets, furniture – my mom’s dining room table where almost everyone I’ve ever loved has gathered at one point or another.
100. I have been kissed while standing on the banks of the Nile.
101. I think I’m a very dull person.
102. I hate to be confined in any fashion – including 101 things about me.