This was a really fun birthday and I appreciate everyone who made it that way. It had a number of highlights… in rough order of their occurrences:
1. Dozens of good wishes from friends on Facebook, including long-time dear friends with fun references even going back to high school and college years. And even from my favorite 19 year old on the planet – BC. These started a couple of days ago and continue today – no need to stop as far as I’m concerned – I’m not fixated on an actual day on the calendar.
2. A call from my friend, Ralf, in Germany, with his daughters – ages 8 and 12 – singing Happy Birthday over the phone. Needless to say, their English is much better than my German, which is non-existent.
3. A surprise visit from Cleta, bearing gifts, no less, including the personalized bottle of germ-x which I just think is hilarious and perfect.
4. Birthday cards in the mail. Mail is always fun and special.
5. Travel/shopping/dinner/Christmas light looking/laughing with Greg.
All in all a great birthday. Facebook has certainly changed the face of birthday wishes forever – in a good way. I was very impressed that Ralf and Cleta remembered, even though neither is on Facebook.
It occurred to me only this morning that we never got around to eating any cake and/or ice cream – an easily rectified situation. I’m almost always travelling on Dec. 23 – my birthday – and rarely get to even have a real meal, much less cake and ice cream, so I didn’t even think about it. This sounds suspiciously like something I can use to justify sugar consumption the rest of the holiday season.
Whatever your part was in my birthday celebration, I appreciate it. Thank you!
I feel perpetually 28, but the calendar tells another story. It’s nice to have that jolt of reality smoothed over with pleasantness from various directions.