I have had a rather relaxing day by my standards. I got some writing and some recording done, which is good.
I also made a trip to Goodwill, where for less than $9 I added to my teacup collection including some lovely hobnail milk glass cups.
I also picked up a Denby china cup and saucer made in Portugal.It has a stamp on the bottom that reads Denby Fine China Portugal Tabletop Designs S.A. 1974 with a 32 added on it. I have no idea what any of that means, but I was enchanted with it.
I love this set, it’s so sweet. The little flowers are so delicate.
They had some more cups, but only one saucer. I don’t care about having a matched set always, but one of the neatest bits of this is on the saucer – a little butterfly where the cup sits.
How can you not love that?
Of course, I had to try it out tonight so I’m having a cup of Constant Comment right this very minute. Why does tea taste better when you drink it from a beautiful cup?
I’ve been thinking a lot lately about the little luxuries I enjoy in daily life. I am convinced they’re essential to mental well-being. Mine, fortuantely, are pretty simple.
1. I love good perfume – love it – one of my favorite parts of the day is deciding what perfume to wear each day. Yesterday it was Ombre Rose, today Ralph Lauren Hot, tomorrow who knows… maybe Obsession, a long time favorite. I have a large collection of scents and love them all.
2. I have nice soap at every sink in my house. The last year or so I’ve been devoted to Bath and Body, but it can change.
3. Bubble bath is an essential. I adore a nice long, luxurious bath. It’s my favorite place to read, lounge and relax.
4. Nice sheets – the extra thread count is worth the extra money.
5. Fine stationery. Although it’s largely lost on most people, I appreciate the feel of certain paper – for writing and reading. I don’t think there has been a time in my life since I was in college when I’ve not had some Crane’s in my home – even if my home was only a small apartment. Kate’s Paperie in New York is a place where I can spend hours.
I am blessed to be able to indulge the luxuries I enjoy. There are so many “things” I appreciate – from antique linens to glassware to a wonderful cup of tea. They all make me feel settled into who I am.
I am finally getting my life organized enough that I have time for all the things I want to do. It has been a slow process, but I’m getting to the place where I can work in everything I want in a day.
Edit: Janice in England tells me that Denby is made in England and Portugal is the name of the pattern. Ah! I love the delicate little flowers – very sweet. Thanks, Janice.
Leave a Reply